What is Creatine- Is it Safe?- Side Effects?

What is Creatine? – Is it Safe? – This is one of the most common questions the new lifters come across when they just start their lifting journey in the Gym.

Creatine is naturally produced in our body by liver, kidneys, pancreas. It is also available in food and can be taken from supplements.

bulking-bodybuilder

It is the most popular supplement used in order to improve performance in the gym. There have been many studies on creatine that it increases muscle mass, strength, and endurance in the gym. It also helps in improving immunity against neurological diseases. It also shares certain similarities with amino acids. In Fact, the body produces it from the arginine and glycine.

95% of it is stored in muscles and the rest 5 % is stored in the brain, kidneys, and liver.

It helps the body to produce more ATP i.e. The body’s energy currency. Thus, the high amount of ATP produced leads to better performance in the gym.

How Creatine Actually works?

It improves the overall health and athletic performance in multiple ways.

When you perform a high-intensity exercise, It helps increases phosphocreatine stores in the muscles, which leads to higher production of ATP, which acts as the key source of energy and strength during high-intensity workouts in the gym.

Sources:

Creatine can be easily found in the following food items:

  • Red meat
  • Fish
  • Poultry
  • Fish
  • Dairy products
  • Eggs
  • Shellfish

Supplements:

When it comes to taking creatine from supplements, there are multiple supplements available in the market:

CREATINE MONOHYDRATE

This is the original version. It generally has a loading phase of 4-5 days (up to 20 grams per day) and after that, it is taken in 2-3 grams per serving size. It is also recommended to be taken sugar(simple carb source) during the consumption of creatine monohydrate for better absorption and results.

MICRONIZED CREATINE

This has smaller particles than the regular powder. This results in better absorption and better mixability. Also, It is the most popular supplement used by bodybuilders and fitness models during their bulking or muscle building phase.

In order to maximize the results of the micronized supplement, you should always drink 3-4 litres of water every day.

Now, the recommended serving size is 5 grams, You should mix it 200-250 ml of water, juice and then drink it right away.

Note: Some people also follow the process to load creatine which is taking 20 grams of serving for the first 4-5 days and 2-3 grams for the next days.

You can take it before and after workouts. Some people also take it during workouts. We would recommend that you should take 5 grams before and 5 after your workout which should be mixed with a fast-digesting whey protein shake.

Note: Completing your daily requirement of creatine through diet can be a challenge, So we suggest you use a supplement.

Is Creatine Safe?

Now there have been certain side effects(myths) by some people. We have gathered up all the details:

Many people also claim that it is an anabolic steroid(myth generated from bro science). Which is absolutely false. It is a natural substance which is actually found in meat and produced by the kidney, liver, and pancreas.

Note: Always drink a lot of water while taking creatine.

Despite all of these suggested side effects(myths), the international society of sports nutrition states that it is safe and thus it concludes as one of the most beneficial sports supplements available in the market. Many studies have been conducted and none has shown any results of such side effects while taking creatine. Thus it is considered as one of the safest supplements and it is widely used worldwide.

How much creatine to take?

Now, the scientists claim that 20 grams are the amount that can be taken by an individual at max on daily basis. But, we recommend that you should take 5 grams every day at max for beginner lifter and for a matured lifter with matured muscles can take up to 10 grams of protein which would be enough in order to make progress in the gym.

So, This was all about creatine which is not an anabolic steroid.You can definitely use this supplement, but please make sure that you drink 3-4 litres of water every day.

Also, In case any queries and questions. Please let us know in the comment section down below.

 

 

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *